Browse by Record GroupBrowse Finding Aids
The Collaborative Archive from the African Diaspora
Established in 2010 by the University of Miami Libraries, the Collaborative Archive from the African Diaspora (CAAD) is a free online resource for scholars seeking manuscripts and other original cultural materials related to South Florida's historically black communities, with special emphasis on African American and Caribbean collections. All records in the CAAD represent collections that can be accessed in South Florida archives, libraries, and cultural heritage institutions.
For more information, please visit the CAAD home page.
Finding Aids and Inventories
Finding aids are tools designed to help researchers understand manuscript and archival collections. They describe the historical context, content, creator(s), materials, and organization of collections.
CAAD finding aids are generally organized to include the following information:
- Overview: the name, size and a brief description of the collection.
- Administrative Information: acquisition, access, and use information.
- Biographical or Historical Note: narrative description of the biography or history of the individual or organizational creator of the collection.
- Scope and Content Note: An overview of the contents and formats of a collection.
- Series Descriptions: brief descriptions providing an overview of the overall intellectual arrangement of a collection.
- Container List: a list showing the physical arrangement of the contents of a collection in boxes and folders.
- Index Terms: a list of the people, organizations, and subjects that are significantly represented or documented in a collection.
Inventories include only a listing of the contents of a collection's containers.
- Default Behaviors
- The search engine looks for records containing every term you submit.
- Search By Phrase
- Use double quotes around your search query. (e.g "Festival of Contemporary Arts")
- Narrow Your Search Results
- Use a minus sign before a term you want to omit from your results. (e.g. 'bass -fish' finds bass guitars but not bass fishing.)
- Browse by collection title, subject, name, or classification.